As Carrie Bradshaw says, ""Every year the women of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future... this is known as Fashion Week."
Just over a week ago the Wedding Glitterati decentralized upon New York for Bridal Fashion Week. Having been invited to The Knot Gala at The New York Metropolitan Library, I couldn't help but to peak in and see what the designers were showcasing this season. And while my travel schedule didn't allow me to be everywhere I wanted to be, I was able to catch some of the shows live via Periscope. This season's fashions were extraordinary, and had me exclaiming "Shut up!" "Drop the mic!" and "OMG! Stop..."
Of all the things that I loved from this seasons runway, my top picks and favorite emerging trends are....
The Top 4 Looks from Bridal Fashion Week 2016
1. The Cape - Nothing gave me "drop the mic" moments like this seasons capes. From the longer than life cape and train on the Verona by Pronovias to the ethereal Capella at Galia Lahav, the cape is the must have accent and accessory for It Girls walking down the aisle in 2016.
Not brave enough to rock such a trendy look on your big day? Add the cape to your weeklong wardrobe by wearing one to your rehearsal dinner or with your going away outfit.
Or, better yet, get glitzy and glam with a caplet. These jewel encrusted additions and high neck embellishments were a glam touch for those who want to keep the drama front and center.
2. Illusion Everywhere - Whether seen on the bodice of a dress at Monique Lhuillier or the all over sophisticated sexiness seen at Berta, illusion accents are everywhere, and here to stay. Did you happen to catch the sheer pocket detailing at Rime Arodaky?!?! You couldn't actually put anything in them....but your hands.
3. The Over Skirt - Is it a train? A skirt? Whatever you want to call it, this floor length peplum detail was seen a few years back on the popular television show Castle when his (now) wife Beckett tried on a Luke Reichle original. While something about the color of this couture confection wasn't quite right, the taffeta organza skirt curtain lay made an impression, popping up on runways from Lhuiller to Berta to
4. Pants and High Low Hems - Once again made an appearance on white carpets throughout fashion week. Here's what I love about them; the pants are super sexy in a fashion forward, femme-androgynes way. Still, they are a hard sell to anyone outside of the fashion set. But the high-low hemline, especially on a full skirt, if just enough to feel on trend without breaking too many rules. Best yet, for those that invest in some serious footwear, this hemline puts them front and center, guaranteeing that the shoes won't be missed.
5. Feathers - Whimsical, soft, romantic and quite sophisticated when done well. I love the feather touches for texture, movement, and interest.
And the least wearable thing sent down the runway was....a series of crazy headwater pieces! From the "how come?" crystal encrusted earphones at Rivini to the Animal inspired headdresses at Galia Lahav, these are great fun on the runway, for a stylized shoot, or maybe if you are out and about on the week of your wedding (the headphones, not the horns).
But I have to say, having just done a woodland inspired event for The Knot with animal heads, it was fun to see that we were right on trend! And even a few weeks ahead of it!
What a great week! What amazing fashion, spectacular people, and what a great opportunity to reconnect, recharge, and look to the future!
Thank you to The Knot for giving me the best reason ever to return to my home state of New York, and for hosting the party of a lifetime! Always...
Las Vegas Wedding Planner Andrea Eppolito is often published, with works featured by the likes of BRIDES, Style Me Pretty, Grace Ormonde Wedding Style, The NY Times, LA Times, Junebug Weddings, and more. With an eye catching style that shares not only the story, but the soul, of a wedding, Andrea's clients praise her for being their wedding planner, event designer, advocate, and friend.
An internationally acclaimed speaker, Andrea appears and speaks at events for the Engage! Luxury Wedding Summit, NACE, The Knot, the Wedding MBA, and more. Named the Best Wedding Planner in Las Vegas (2013, 2015, 2016), Wedding Professional of the Year (2011) and ranked as one of the top 50 wedding planners world-wide, Andrea works with celebrities, athletes, executives, and all people in love!
Based in Las Vegas, and working as a destination wedding planner world wide, you can learn more at www.AndreaEppolitoEvents.com.